Why did Jake Lloyd (young Anakin Skywalker) recieve so much bullying and hatred for his portrayal of Anakin?


I was reading an article about Jake Llyod, who played Anakin in the Phantom Menace. His story is truly a sad tale-after the release of the movie, he was bullied so much by his peers and even adult Star Wars fans that he destroyed all of his Star Wars merchandise and quit acting for good. He now has a bunch of serious mental issues, which I assume probably stem at least partially from this trauma as a kid.I get that sometimes fans bully actors. I mean, Kelly Marie Tran had to leave social media because she got so much hatred for her portrayal of Rose Tico. But Jake Lloyd's harassment happened before the invention of Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. Before people could type hateful comments within seconds and hide their faces behind a screen.And yes, the movie wasn't great. The Phantom Menace had plenty of cringey dialogue and stupid plot points. But plenty of other bad movies exist that also have cringey child actors, and I've never heard of one getting as much hatred as Jake did.Not to mention, Jake Lloyd's acting wasn't even that bad? I feel like he did a fine job for someone of his age that was given a script with dialogue that might have been cringey at times.I guess fans are just terrible? via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3mHLqPI

Comments