Surprised how even in the digital age, many movies simply aren't readily available


TLDR-lots of movies not available on streaming/VOD in the UK, only option was Blu Ray and in some cases piracy. List below.As I've recently gotten more into movies, I've started actively seeking out ones I hear good things about. And it's astonishing to me that even today, many acclaimed films simply aren't available on streaming services or VOD. In those cases, my main option if I wanted to see them in HD was Blu-ray. Some movies I can't find digitally or even on Blu Ray, leaving piracy as my only option for getting them in HD. I'm not a big fan of piracy, but it's unsurprising how prevelant it is when it's the only way for some people to watch certain movies.I'm in the UK, so maybe the situation is different in say, the US. But here are some films I could not find digitally and had/would have to buy on Blu-Ray. The ones with a (*) I couldn't even find on Blu-Ray.Thief(Michael Mann)Notorious(Alfred Hitchcock)Raise the Red Lantern(along with most of Zhang Yimou's early works)*To Live and Die In L.A(William Friedkin)Chungking Express(along with a good chunk of Wong Kar Wai's filmography, and they're not available induvidually on Blu Ray)*Farewell My Concubine(Chen Kaige)War and Peace(Sergei Bondarchuk)*The Abyss(Edit-James Cameron not David Cameron😂)* Edit-just saw the post about it now being on Amazon Prime in 1080p...but sadly not the case in the UK...Kagemusha(Akira Kurosawa, has since become available on VOD)The Duellists(Ridley Scott, has since become available on VOD)The Last Emporer(Bernado Bertolucci)Mishima:A Life in Four Chapters(Paul Schrader)Hardly just obscure stuff, most of these are from very famous directors and/or incredibly revered. Feel free to list some more movies you've struggled to get ahold of. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/3Dk2WQ1

Comments