Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom


Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is not just my favorite, but I really think this is the best Indiana Jones movie, better than Raiders. It is my favorite action movie ever. First of all, the biggest complaint against this movie is the side characters; Willie Scott and Short Round. The criticism against Willie, I can understand but I think Short Round is a really good character. He is actually useful but more importantly has a strong emotional bond with Dr. Jones. He gives a chance for Indy to show off his fatherly side and really is closer to Indy than any other character in the series. Indy hitting short round is pretty shocking and then them making up is a great moment. On the other hand, Willie Scott is annoying but she is totally supposed to be. I actually think Kate Capshaw gives a very good performance. Her screaming does get tiresome but Marion screamed almost as much in Raiders and is a beloved character. Sure Marion was tougher and could handle herself but Willie is not supposed to be that. Her personality actually heightens the stakes of the story as Indy has clearly been through some shit but Willie is in WAY over head and goes through quite a bit of torment to justify all the screaming. Speaking of side characters, Mola Ram is easily the scariest and most intimidating Indy villain, a true personification of evil.None of the IJ movies are very complex nor are they supposed to be, but I felt that Temple of Doom actually had the most character development and meaning in the series. Indiana Jones starts out the film very selfishly only looking for "fortune and glory" but his journey in this film turns him into the iconic hero we all know. He literally goes into hell, the most evil place I have ever seen filled with child slaves and human sacrifice and even becomes evil himself before turning it around and risking his life to fight this evil and save others. This is definitely the most heroic Indiana Jones of all four movies and one in which he actually saves the day, defeating the villains, rescuing the children and returning the sacred stone to the village instead of keeping it for himself.I also thought that the Temple of Doom was by far the most visually interesting IJ movie. I always thought the other two were shot kind of plainly but in TOD every single shot had an idea behind it. I am surprised the cinematography of the film is not mentioned more. Check out the way the heart-ripping sacrifice scene is shot and edited, really great fillmmaking. There were times when I felt like I was watching a Sergio Leone movie. The lighting is fantastic and almost psychedelic in some parts, and the set design is some of the best I have ever seen. I also love how dark and over the top the movie is. I don't think we will ever get another big budget action/adventure blockbuster that goes into the depths of horror and depravity that we see here but to me it makes Indiana Jones triumph more powerful. Finally, I just really think this is the most thrilling action movie I have ever seen and more intense/disturbing than most horror films. Once we reach the temple it is a non stop rollercoaster of awesome ideas, intensity, and effects that never lets up until the end, while also developing characters we actually care about, It is just so damn visceral from start to finish; Exactly what an Indiana Jones movie should be. via /r/movies https://ift.tt/2RgzzFV

Comments